Matter to Life Undergraduate Research Opportunities (MtL-URO)
The Max Planck School Matter to Life is offering flexible, 10 - 12 week-long research internships for excellent undergraduates. These research internships will be available in Matter to Life Faculty member’s laboratories (see the Faculty page). Motivated students interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life have one application round opportunity each year. The internship can take place during the months of June – November.
What you need to apply:
- CV (maximum two pages)
- Current transcript of records
- Personal statement (maximum two pages; Times New Roman, font size 12, line spacing 1.5)
- Your top three Matter to Life laboratories to perform the internship, ranked in order, with #1 being your first choice. You should decide on your top three laboratories from the list of Faculty on the Faculty page. Your choices will be input on the application portal.
- Indicate the time frame in which you could perform your 10-12 week-long internship during the months of June – November 2020 on the application portal.
How to apply:
Apply via the application portal:
- Step 1: Create an account, indicating in the drop-down menu that you are applying for: Max Planck School Matter to Life - Undergraduate Research Opportunities
- Step 2: You will receive an email confirmation about your account details; click on the link in the email to create your application.
- Step 3: Fill in your application and click "Submit" when complete.
- Step 4: You will receive an email confirmation that you have submitted your application. You will be notified about the result in April 2020.
When to apply:
- Apply by March 31, 2020 (24:00 CET) to be considered for an internship during June – November 2020.
- How long is the internship? The internship lasts between 10 and 12 weeks.
- When does the internship take place? The internship can be performed within the months of June – November. You will determine the exact dates of your 10 – 12 week-long internship within this time frame. Please indicate your availablity on the application portal.
- Is the internship funded? Yes! Travel to/from your home country, accommodation, and a living allowance is provided.
- Who is eligible to apply? Any excellent undergraduate student interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life. You should have some research experience and your major should be within one of the following fields: physics, chemistry, biology, informatics, materials science, or engineering (or a related sub-field, e.g. bioengineering). Your personal statement should highlight your previous research experience, if any.
- Where are the internships held? The internships are held in the laboratories of Matter to Life Faculty members within Germany. Our Faculty are located in Aachen, Dresden, Dortmund, Erlangen, Göttingen, Heidelberg, Magdeburg, Mainz, Marburg, Munich, Potsdam, and Saarbrücken. Please see the Faculty member’s own website to find out where their organization is located.
- Do I need to obtain Letters of Recommendation? No.
- Do I need to learn German to perform a MtL-URO? No! All internships will be conducted in English.
- When do I find out the results of my application? You should receive your results within one month of the application deadline.
- I have participated in the URO program before. Can I apply again? Yes, but students who have not yet participated in the program will be given priority.
- Who can I contact if I have questions? Feel free to e-mail our coordination team at email@example.com