Matter to Life Undergraduate Research Opportunities (MtL-URO)
The Max Planck School Matter to Life is offering flexible, 10 - 12 week long research internships for excellent undergraduates. These research internships will be available in Matter to Life Faculty member’s laboratories (see the Faculty page). Motivated students interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life have two application round opportunities. For internships taking place during the months of June – November 2019, apply by March 1, 2019. For internships taking place during the months of December 2019 – May 2020, apply by October 1, 2019.
What you need to apply:
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Contact details (e-mail and phone number) of 2 referees who will be contacted to submit a Letter of Recommendation
- Current transcript of records
- Personal statement (maximum 2 pages), handwritten*
- A list of your top three Matter to Life laboratories to perform the internship, ranked in order, with 1 being your first choice. Please only provide Faculty names; do not include any other information. You should decide on your top three laboratories from the list of Faculty on the Faculty page.
*Not typed! We believe handwritten statements are a more personal way to communicate your research experiences and interests. Please scan your handwritten document and compile with the rest of your digital application package.
How to apply:
- Compile your documents into one PDF and email to email@example.com with the subject line: MtL-URO Application. You will receive an e-mail confirmation that we have received your application within 72 hrs of submission; please ensure you receive a confirmation within this timeframe.
When to apply:
- Apply by March 1, 2019 (24:00 CEST) to be considered for an internship during June – November 2019.
- Apply by October 1, 2019 (24:00 CEST) to be considered for an internship during December 2019 – May 2020.
- How long is the internship? These internships are meant to provide a valuable research experience to undergraduates. Thus, they should be at least 10 weeks but no longer than 12 weeks.
- When does the internship take place? The internship is offered during two timeframes. It can either be performed within the months of June – November 2019 (apply by March 1, 2019) or within the months of December 2019 – May 2020 (apply by October 1, 2019). You will determine the exact dates of your 10 – 12 week-long internship within the respective timeframe of your application round.
- Is the internship funded? Yes! Travel to/from your home country, housing, a living allowance, as well as any applicable visa fees will be paid for.
- Who is eligible to apply? Any excellent undergraduate student interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life. You should have some research experience and your major should be within one of the following fields: physics, chemistry, biology, informatics, materials science, or engineering (or a related sub-field, e.g. bioengineering). Your personal statement should highlight your previous research experience.
- Where are the internships held? The internships are held in the laboratories of Matter to Life Faculty members within Germany. Our Faculty are located in Heidelberg, Munich, Göttingen, Potsdam, Dresden, Dortmund, Aachen, Marburg, and Mainz. Please see the Faculty member’s own website to find out where their organization is located.
- Do I need to learn German to perform a MtL-URO? No! All internships will be conducted in English.
- Who can I contact if I have questions? Feel free to e-mail our coordination team at firstname.lastname@example.org