Matter to Life Undergraduate Research Opportunities (MtL-URO)
The application portal is now closed!
The next application phase will start next winter.
The Max Planck School Matter to Life is offering flexible, 10 - 12 week-long research internships for excellent undergraduates. These research internships will be available in Matter to Life Faculty member’s laboratories (see the Faculty page). Motivated students interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life have one application round opportunity each year. The internship can take place during the months of June – November.
- How long is the internship? The internship lasts between 10 and 12 weeks.
- When does the internship take place? The internship can be performed within the months of June – November. You will determine the exact dates of your 10 – 12 week-long internship within this time frame. Please indicate your availablity on the application portal.
- Is the internship funded? Yes! Travel to/from your home country, accommodation, and a living allowance is provided.
- Who is eligible to apply? Any excellent undergraduate student interested in performing research in the field of Matter to Life. You should have some research experience and your major should be within one of the following fields: physics, chemistry, biology, informatics, materials science, or engineering (or a related sub-field, e.g. bioengineering). Your personal statement should highlight your previous research experience, if any.
- Where are the internships held? The internships are held in the laboratories of Matter to Life Faculty members within Germany. Our Faculty are located in Aachen, Dresden, Dortmund, Erlangen, Göttingen, Heidelberg, Magdeburg, Mainz, Marburg, Munich, Potsdam, and Saarbrücken. Please see the Faculty member’s own website to find out where their organization is located.
- Do I need to obtain Letters of Recommendation? No.
- Do I need to learn German to perform a MtL-URO? No! All internships will be conducted in English.
- When do I find out the results of my application? You should receive your results within one month of the application deadline.
- I have participated in the URO program before. Can I apply again? Yes, but students who have not yet participated in the program will be given priority.
- Who can I contact if I have questions? Feel free to e-mail our coordination team at firstname.lastname@example.org