Application - Max Planck School of Photonics
Our application phase has started and our portal is open now!
The deadline is December 15. Please apply via our online portal and select the Max Planck School of Photonics after creating your account.
Before you start your application, please read the information given here and the FAQ
We offer a live presentation of the MPSP programm and a Q&A session via chat on November 21st 2-4 pm CEST. The link will be published soon.
Students holding or expecting one of the following degrees are eligible to apply to the Max Planck School of Photonics: Bachelor/Master of Science (B.Sc./M.Sc.), Bachelor/Master of Engineering (B. Eng./M.Eng.) or Bachelor/Master of Technology (B. Tech./M.Tech) with significant exposure to physics, engineering or a related subject.
The Max Planck Society wishes to increase the participation of women and disabled people in this field and therefore encourages women to apply for this unique program.
Please read the application requirements and details on the application procedure carefully, as incomplete or incorrectly submitted applications will not be considered. Please also refer to our FAQs if further questions arise.
Unless specified otherwise, all candidates applying for both the study phase and the research phase must provide the following documents:
- TOEFL, or an equivalent English test (minimum points/grades): TOEFL PBT (550), TOEFL CBT (215), TOEFL IBT (85), IELTS (6.5)
- Cambridge English Proficiency (CPE) exam or Cambridge English Advanced (CAE) exam
- German "Abitur" with comprehensive coverage of the English language
- Language exemptions: nationals from the USA, U.K., Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada, as well as B.Sc. or M.Sc. graduates who obtained their qualification in one of these countries
- Exemptions may be possible in cases where the language proficiency test is expired or where the previous education phase was taught in English, please contact the MPSP office before submission of your documents: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How does the application procedure work?
Register at Portal, choose MPSP MSc or PhD
Add the contact details of at least two referees and invite them ("Submit to Send E-mails to referees" at the bottom of the page) to fill out a reference questionnaire. Doing this first will allow your referees more time to provide their references. You also have the option to upload letters of reference. However, the invitation-based reference is considered the default option and strongly recommended.
Please fill out the rest of the application form by adding the required information and uploading the required documents. Click Save whenever you add any new content. You may revisit and modify your application at any time prior to final submission. Once the application is completed you submit it ("Submit Application"). Please make sure that you revised the application thoroughly before submitting. Your application is only considered complete if application and both letters of reference have been submitted before the deadline of application. After submission you will no longer be able to edit your application. Your submitted data will be available to view throughout the application process.
About Step 1, more details:
You have to complete this section and trigger the email invitation to your referees at first in order to continue with your application. This will give the referees sufficient time to submit the reference forms before the deadline of submission. Importantly, at least two referees need to be invited to fill out reference questionnaire before you can submit your application.
Please add the contact details of two referees who can attest to your research, academic, or professional abilities in the context of your interest in pursuing a graduate degree. We recommend that you personally contact the referee regarding your reference form before triggering the email invitation.
- · After having filled out the form, press the Submit to Send E-mails to Referees button. An email invitation will then be sent, providing the Referees with all the necessary information to electronically fill out the reference questionnaire.
- · You will receive an email of confirmation as soon as a referee has submitted a reference questionnaire.
- · It will not be possible to make any modifications or corrections to the content of this References tab, once the referees have been contacted.
- · In some cases, email invitations may be directed to the spam folder of a referee's email account. Therefore, it may make sense to confirm with the respective referee that email invitation has arrived in the regular folder.