Application - Max Planck School Matter to Life
Applicants with a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Materials Science, Molecular Systems Engineering, Physics, Molecular Cell Biology, Bioengineering, or a related subject are welcome to apply for the 5-year B.Sc.-to-Ph.D. direct track Master/Ph.D. program in the Max Planck School Matter to Life. Applicants will apply to one of the three participating Universities in order to carry out the Master's phase of the program (the first 2 years of the 5 year program): Heidelberg University, Göttingen University, or the Technical University of Munich. Please see the Program page for more details.
- Application Portal Opens: February 15, 2019
- Application Deadline: May 1, 2019 (for Göttingen University) May 31, 2019 (Update: Deadline extended - only for Heidelberg University!)
- Program Start Date: September 1, 2019 (expected)
- Next application round deadline: December 1, 2019 (portal will open in the Fall)
Application Documents for applicants with a Bachelor of Science:
- Certificates of all degrees (High School/Abitur, B.Sc. - if already obtained, etc.)
- Proof of current enrollment if B.Sc. degree is still ongoing (official statement and/or transcript)
- Official transcripts of completed and/or ongoing degrees
- Curriculum vitae (CV), maximum 3 pages
- Letter of motivation, up to 8500 characters
- Official TOEFL, IELTS, or C1 Advanced test scores in the case of non-native English-speaking applicants#
- GRE Subject Test (from one of the subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Math, or Physics)
- GRE General Test - only required for Heidelberg University
- Signed Declaration Form - only required for Heidelberg University
Important GRE Test Update: Due to worldwide test center unavailability this Spring, Heidelberg University and Göttingen University do not require any GRE test for the May 1, 2019 (Göttingen) or May 31, 2019 (Heidelberg) application deadline rounds.
Please see the FAQs page for more detailed information about the application process.
*The Technical University of Munich will open their application portal at a later date.
#Note: The English language test can be taken and submitted after the application deadline (but no later than August 31, 2019).
Apply now to one of the University-specific Application Portals!
Göttingen University: Complex Systems and Biological Physics - Now closed
Technical University of Munich: Bioengineering - Check back for updates
The Max Planck Schools wish to increase the participation of women wherever they are underrepresented; therefore, applications from women are particularly welcome. Following its commitment to an equal opportunities employment policy, the Max Planck Schools also especially encourage persons with a disability to submit their applications.