Application - Max Planck School of Cognition
The Max Planck School of Cognition invites applications from exceedingly bright students with strong academic experience in areas related to cognition such as artificial intelligence, biology, (cognitive) neuroscience, genetics, linguistics, mathematics, neurobiology, neuroimaging, neurology, neurophysics, philosophy, physics, psychiatry, and psychology.
1. The next round of applications started on 1 September, 2020 and closes on 1 December, 2020 - i.e. applications and references have to be submitted through our online application portal by then.
2. This year, we offer a special Applicant Support Programme to help with your application. Please visit our online application portal to receive a special consultation about your application before submitting it.
3. Q&A sessions regarding our program and application procedure
We offer personal Q&A sessions on our program on various dates. On the following days, we will inform you about the school and its program and answer application-related and other questions.
19:00 CET each (Tuesdays): 10.11. and 24.11.
13:00 or 15:00 CET each (Wednesday): 11.11. and 25.11.
Participation is possible after previous registration via clicking on the corresponding link:
10.11. 19:00 CET:
11.11. 13:00 CET:
24.11. 19:00 CET:
25.11. 13:00 CET:
Afterwards you will receive an e-mail from Zoom with the participation details.
General information on the application procedure
Your complete application needs to be submitted through our online application portal . Please prepare the following documents:
- Certificates or proof of current enrollment (B.S. and / or M.S.) (see FAQs 1.3-1.5)
- Your high school diploma
- Copy of your passport / identity card
- Academic curriculum vitae (see FAQ 3.1)
- Personal statement (see FAQ 2.2)
- Names of four preferred fellows from the Max Planck School of Cognition for your lab rotations during the orientation year (1st year). You may also choose (ONE) faculty from our Associated Researchers
- Names of three potential supervisors from the Max Planck School of Cognition Fellows for your doctoral phase (2nd - 4th years; please do not contact the potential supervisors ahead of admission to the program; only necessary to identify 3 names of interest in the application)
- Contact of two referees for recommendation letters (see FAQs 3.5-3.6). Note, the deadline of the application call also applies to the referees
- Non-native English-speaking applicants must provide evidence of their English language proficiency (see FAQs 1.11-1.12)
During the COVID-19 pandemic the Max Planck School of Cognition drops consideration of GRE scores.
For any inquiries please contact Matthias Bolz: Matthias.Bolz@maxplanckschools.de