Max Planck School of Photonics (MPSP)
About the School
The Max Planck School of Photonics (MPSP) is a top tier interdisciplinary graduate school in Germany that provides an integrated MSc and PhD program in Photonics for excellent graduates from all over the world. The MPSP links up leading scientists in the field “Photonics” researching at German universities and non-university research institutions. This network of outstanding researchers, we call them “Fellows”, offers the MPSP PhD candidates unique access to their collected knowledge and prepares them for their career as “Photonics innovator” in the German academia or industry. At the same time, this BMBF-funded program is advancing photonics research in Germany by networking science, driving synergies and new ideas.
Why to join the MPSP:
- Full funding and no tuition fees
- Excellent teaching and research facilities
- Outstanding network of world-renowned Fellows
- Very good connections to industry
About the Program
Photonics is the science of light, enabling numerous modern technologies such as non-contact sensors, quantum computers and energy and information carriers. The research spectrum in this area is as diverse as the fields of application, which is reflected in the MPSP PhD program.
The program is structured in two phases. During the first phase, the two-year "study phase", excellent Bachelor-graduates obtain their Master’s degree in photonics at one of three teaching universities. Afterwards, the PhD candidates specialize during their three-year research phase. They conduct an independent research project under the supervision of one of our Fellows, e.g. in the fields of Nanophotonics, Ultrafast Physics, Quantum Optics or Biophotonics. An additive curriculum further provides them with cross-location specialization courses and soft skill trainings for personal development.
Are you curious to find out more about the Max Planck School of Photonics? Then have a look at the MPSP website:
- To the partner institutions of the MPSP
- More about the integrated MSc and PhD program for Bachelor and Master graduates and all information about the application process
- The MPSP Fellows, PhD candidates and the MPSP Team
- Everything about digital teaching at the MPSP
- Upcoming events and news about the MPSP